According to the current dictate of the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority (IRDA), all private hospitals are expected to be NABH accredited. This implies that hospitals and healthcare facilities must meet a particular standard set by the authority. Does that mean doctors, nurses, healthcare professionals and paramedics are required to be aware of an NABH accreditation course? Certainly YES!
What is NABH?
It is a member of the Quality Council of India that offers accreditation to hospitals and healthcare providers should they prove their compliance with quality guidelines. The standards set by NABH are further approved by the International Society for Quality in Healthcare.
What is the Importance of NABH?
Certain policies and processes for health care could often be unresponsive to ensure health care services of acceptable quality, causing negligence. Problems range from inadequate and inappropriate treatments, excessive use of higher technologies, and wasting of scarce resources, to serious problems of medical malpractice and negligence.
The main purpose of NABH accreditation is to help planners to promote, implement, monitor and evaluate robust practises to ensure that they occupy a central place in the development of the health care system.
NABH Accredited Hospitals – What Does it Mean?
An accreditation from NABH acts as proof that the hospital meets the global standards while providing healthcare facilities. It intends to provide the patient with a positive experience, acquiring National recognition.
Objective of NABH
Quality Assurance should help improve effectiveness, efficiency and cost containment, as well as address accountability and the need to reduce errors while increasing safety in the system.
Thus, the objective of NABH accreditation is on continuous improvement in the organizational and clinical performance of health services, not just the achievement of a certificate or award or merely assuring compliance with minimum acceptable standards.
What are the NABH standards for hospitals?
Hospitals accredited to NABH must adhere to the following standards:
- Clearly explain the services provided
- The registration and admission procedures must be well-defined. It also includes transfer and referral systems.
- Explain the patient and his/her family about the condition along with the appropriate line of treatment.
Offer imaging and laboratory services according to the patient’s requirements
- Provide continuous, multi-disciplinary patient-care
- The discharge of patients must be documented
NABH accredited training in India aims to enhance patient care. How? The following guidelines will explain:
- As per the laws and regulations, patients obtain uniform care and emergency services.
- It also includes directives related to –
- Care of patients in intensive care and emergency units
- Patient care in the event of cardiopulmonary resuscitation
- Provision of care for children, elderly and physically/mentally
- Care of chronic pediatric and obstetric patients
- Nutritional therapy
- Care of patient during surgery
The facilities in the hospital must be equipped to –
- Proper surveillance to reduce hospital-related infections
- Effective sterilization techniques
- Management of bio and medical waste
Management of Medication
The policies and procedures are related to –
- Use of chemotherapeutic, radioactive, psychotropic and narcotic drugs
- Pharmacy services and medication arrangement
- Prescription, storage and safe distribution of medication
The healthcare sector in India is dynamic and subjected to various changes everyday. In such a scenario, studying NABH accreditation courses is a step towards improving the quality of healthcare facilities. How? It provides several benefits to:
- They are always attended by skilled and trained medical professionals.
- Rights of patients are protected and respected
- Enhances the safety and quality of blood collection, testing, transfusion, distribution.
- The staff working in an accredited hospital is aware of the quality that is to be maintained and also about patient safety.
- Professionals who have completed NABH accredited training in India will be satisfied working in hospitals as it offers a great working environment, continuous learning and leadership.
- It enhances the professional development of paramedical staff and clinicians while promoting quality improvement through nursing and medicine.
Conclusion: The healthcare industry in India is experiencing rapid changes and is continuously evolving. With the emergence of new morbidities and contagion, the requirement for advanced technology, medicine, efficient staff and maintenance of appropriate standard is a necessity. Pursuing an NABH accreditation course is the correct way professionals can help in improving the healthcare facilities. To know more about our courses, visit us on https://satsacademy.in/quality-2/